When you’re too cold at home in the winter, sometimes the adjusting the thermostat isn’t the solution. There are several reasons your home may not be completely comfortable during the harshest times of the year. Whether it’s the winter or the summer, there are problems that can come up, but they aren’t always directly associated with your heating or cooling system.
If your insulation is too old or wasn’t properly placed to begin with, it could be the cause of your problems! Here are 10 potential symptoms of poor insulation in your home…
During the Winter
- Your home is still too cold when the heating system is at a reasonable temperature
- Your 2nd floor is noticeably warmer than your 1st floor
- You feel the need to put on extra clothes/blankets while you are just sitting around the house
- Your kids are always complaining about being cold
- The room ABOVE your garage is noticeably cold
- The floors in your home are always too cold, and your feet are always cold
- Getting out of the bath or shower is noticeably uncomfortable because of the cold
- Energy bills are rising more than normal – this can happen any time of year
During the Summer
- Your bedrooms and upstairs are noticeably hot and uncomfortable
- The house has hot and cold spots – constantly adjusting the temp
In some cases, this could be the result of a failing HVAC system, but there are situations where properly insulating a home can fix these issues!
Insulation is the material you put in between the walls of your house that keep your home protected from the weather outside. A properly insulated home will keep the warm air inside your home in the winter, while protecting your home from the cold air outside, and visa versa in the summer.
How will insulation fix these problems?
If you have your home properly insulated it will help keep the entire house more comfortable. It will prevent air from escaping your house, as well as air from outside coming in. It will keep the entire house more evenly temperatured, which is extremely important when it comes to bedrooms, basements, garages, and additions. It will also help to reduce the amount of work your HVAC system has to do, giving it a longer lifespan, and reducing your energy bills.
How do you know if your insulation needs to be taken care of?
We would perform a FREE Home Energy Audit. This will take into account a lot of different factors in your home. We will then analyze it, and let you know where you are looking good, and how you could improve!
- Evaluate insulation levels in walls, ceilings, and floors
- Identify areas where air leakage could be present, using a blower door
- Evaluate Furnace for efficiency level and safe operation
- Evaluate Water Heater for efficiency level and safe operation
- Inspect Air Conditioner for efficiency level
- Evaluate window condition and efficiency
- Evaluate home for any moisture/air quality issues
- Inspect exhaust fans and dryer for proper operation and venting
- Point out any inefficient lighting or appliances you have
If you have any questions about insulation in your home, or any aspect of your home comfort, give us a call at (856) 272-7000, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.