You have your car serviced a few times of year right? Most people also have their HVAC systems looked at by a professional too. One important appliance in your home that is often overlooked is your water heater. Having your water heater professionally maintained is more important than you may realize. It uses a lot of energy, and provides an important commodity to the house. This is also an appliance that you want to last for 10+ years, so never having it looked at does not bode well for the lifespan.
Here are a few reasons you should absolutely have your water heater serviced at least once every year or 2.
- Sediment Build Up In Your Tank – Different materials can sometimes get caught in your tank. Having a regular service will flush them out and ensure that buildup doesn’t hurt your system.
- Ensures Safety – Your water heater has safety checks and valves that a professional can look at to make sure everything is working safely. Having a safety issue with an appliance like this can be outright dangerous.
- Lengthens The Lifespan – A water heater is an important appliance in your home, and is something that should last for years. Just like taking care of a car to make sure it runs wells and lasts, your water heater should be maintained regularly to make it last. If you leave your water heater without being looked at, you are likely going to have to replace it a few years ahead of schedule.
- Check & Replace Anode Rod – This is a rod in most hot water heaters that stop tanks from rusting and corroding. Once the rod has corroded itself too much, it needs to be replaced.
- Reduces Breakdowns & Repairs – Making sure your equipment is looked at frequently (once a year) means that there will be fewer breakdowns and need for repairs. Not only are these costly, but also VERY inconvenient. If you’ve ever spoken to someone with a water heater that leaked or burst, you know the headache it can cause, completely flooding a basement.
- Increases Efficiency – With regular service you will make sure your system is running efficiently, saving you money on energy bills and saving your system the stress. Your water heater is constantly heating the water inside the tank. Every time the water cools off, the tank will heat it back up to make sure it’s ready for use. If your tank isn’t running efficiently, it’s going to take more energy to get the job done, therefore costing you more money in energy bills.
If you haven’t had your system looked at in the past 2 years, it’s definitely time to make it happen. In the long run, it ends up saving you money and giving you some peace of mind knowing your water heater is in good shape, and running as well as it possibly can.
If you have any questions about water heaters or any aspect of your home comfort, we would love to help you out. Just give us a call at (856) 272-7000!